Social media sites are becoming increasingly more visual to leverage users’ attraction to photos and video. According to Zabisco, a consulting firm that specializes in research and user experience, 40 percent of people respond more to visual information than plain text. So it makes sense that Facebook launched its timeline feature and Google+ created a photo-focused layout.
Now Twitter, the simplest of these sites, has given users the option to customize their header images for a more dynamic and visually appealing profile. This simple update allows you to make your profile more visually engaging, creative and meaningful while reinforcing your brand image.
Follow these steps to update your header image:
- Go to https://twitter.com/settings/design.
- Click on “Change header.”
- Select an image file from your computer. (For optimal display on all devices, Twitter recommends using an image that is 1,200px x 600px. The image file needs to be less than 5MB.)
- Zoom in as appropriate and click “Save.”
- Go to “View my profile page” to see your results.
If a picture is worth 1,000 words, Twitter now lets users express themselves in more than 140 characters. Take advantage of this offering to tell your story.